Friday, September 18, 2009

The Second "R"

Must be on the theme of R's right now lol

I love what the community of SBC does. I love the connection between students, the connection between students and prof, the connection between everyone. It is SWEET! However, because SBC is such a huge believer in the role of community and SBC life...where does that leave commuters and part time students?











Dictionary.com defines the term reject in numerous ways:

Reject: verb (used with object)
1. to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.
2. to refuse to accept (someone or something); rebuff:
3. to discard as useless or unsatisfactory:
4. to cast out or eject; vomit.
5. to cast out or off.

Yes some of these definitions are harsh and unrealistic to my situation at the present time. However, I have know looked at this from both sides of the spectrum. I look at definition #1 "to refuse to have" and that one made me think. So this evening I did what I believe to be my part and I went to the dorm. I was told, " i just checked facebook, but I am busy now" I was also told "What are YOU doing here" I wanted to make sure that I was not Refusing to have community from SBC, However these 2 comments made me lean towards the second definition of "to refuse to accept"

I am not really going to say anything about definitions 3 and 4, but number 5 "To cast out"...

Thats where I sit

~C!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Hey Cass,
Sorry SBC community is treating you like this...really I am...however dont you think you are basing this off very little?? First off, just hear me out i am not sayign this to upset you or anything like that ok? Just a few thoughts, a few comments. we are NOT rejecting you or ignoring you, or casting you out. Keep in mind that we are only in week 2...give us a chance to settle down, adjust etc as well. You are not the only one who has gone through different/hard/easy/life changing changes this past year. Thats one thing i have learned recently as well, things do change, sometimes for better and sometimes for the worse=its a fact of life.
I agree with what Lana said in the last post about it is something taht is naturally gonna happen. I could give tons of examples in my life where that has happened. And it is two fold-we (as dorm) need to make that connecting effort with you, and you need to make that connecting effort with us (such as through school events as Red Rock, all college wiener roast..even more chapels etc)

so i hope some of this makes sense and again, this is not said with any negativeness to it (as in I dont want to make you mad or upset with me or anything like taht) it is just this, a comment and thought on it

But i do hope to see you around more throughout teh year and hang out and all!

Cassandra said...

In regards to Nikki's post...

i am basing this off a little bit but there has been at least another 5-10 very similar situations like this.

As to the connecting effort part and change part. Yes I realize change is inevitable and because of that connecting on my end is harder. However i will be at Red Rock, I could not do all college weiner roast b/c of my practicum, chapels....well here comes the change...when you are married the bills nearly double, meaning i have to work...i work 3 days a week, the other 2 during the day i have practicum... I am actively involved in the Married life care groups, and will be crazy invovled inImpact, Christmas Musical and Splat.

Anonymous said...

Of course you're going to feel like the community has changed. You've changed. You got married and now have to focus your attention in other places than on your dorm relationships, etc. I'm not saying that all your friendships have to fizzle because of this, but things naturally change when you get married and move off campus...and its a good thing! The community at SBC is amazing. It is meant to be a place where people can grow and mature and develop as Christian men and women. But SBC's intention is not that you make SBC your home for the rest of your life. They want you to take what you have learned at SBC and bring that into the community right around you - into your ministry.
I've been at SBC myself and have since graduated and moved on. It would be crazy to think that even though I moved off campus, I would still remain as close to SBC and its community as I was before. The point is that now I need to take what I've learned and get into my new community, into my ministry where I'm at right now. So Cassandra, its going to happen and its completely normal. Its natural, its right and yes, it will be hard to adjust to, but as mature Christian men and women, we need to take up the challenge and bring Jesus to the rest of the world.
Get to know the other married students, keep making good attempts at connecting with the dorm students, accept that your relationships will change (more than likely you'll develop new, stronger ones this year which may even last longer than your dorm relationships) and look for ways to show Jesus to the world thats directly around you.
God bless you!!